Friday, October 28, 2011

Letter from ROTC Cadet (NCEA 2011 Attendee) Chad Bishop to Classmate Rich Measner



Hello, Sir.

This is Cadet Chad Bishop with ETSU ROTC. You asked if I would contact you, at the Hall of Fame ceremony, in regards to how the NCEA went at the USMA. I am pleased to report to you that it was one of the best experiences of my life. From the reception and in-processing to the trip home, all was planned well and very beneficial. I met some great people and gained meaningful friendships. The way I thought about ethics was challenged, grown, and also supported in other ways. I am very thankful for the opportunity and have been willing to share notes and the entire experience with my fellow peers.
I have attached a letter I am trying to send to the USMA in hopes that it will recognize the cadets I speak about in that letter. I also typed the letter as a simple expression of my gratitude for their investment in my personal growth.
Respectfully, Cadet Bishop

Attached Letter send by CDT Bishop to USMA:

National Conference on Ethics in America
Upon returning home to East Tennessee State University and the welcoming color of the mountains which proclaim the glory of God, memories and impressions of the USMA are still pressing heavily on my mind and soul. The NCEA is held within the realm of a place where Duty, Honor, and Country are ever present. The history of the USMA is preserved with every facet on the Post, thus propelling the ethics and values the military academy is based upon. This short letter is not a recap of the events that took place at the conference, it is much more. This letter is a thank-you to the founders of West Point like George Washington. It is a thank-you to those that organized and facilitated the event and round table discussions like LTC Brian Imiola (F2), and finally this letter serves as a thank-you to the influence and hospitality of those like Firstie CO Doug Gain (go Ducks) and one of his Platoon Sergeants Jake Roberts. My time at West Point is one of the most informational and ethical experiences I have ever had. While the views of a cadet may not be extremely important, I feel it is crucial I send my gratitude.
When I heard of the opportunity to attend the NCEA I knew it was an event to take advantage of. At ETSU, LTC Jeffress informed MSIII cadets in the Buccaneer Battalion of the opportunity. I was not sure if I would be the one qualified to go and I was unsure what to expect if I was chosen to attend. The NCEA took place over our fall break so I must admit that was holding me back in a way, as fall break is a time to relax and visit with friends and family.
As the sole delegate from ETSU I arrived at West Point and began in-processing. The first night I met Doug Gain and Jake Roberts. Roberts was the cadet with whom my room assignment connected me. The hospitality of Roberts was exceptional. Roberts offered me his bed and slept on a cot during the whole duration of the conference. This was beyond what he needed to do. Roberts was very busy with class work and other responsibilities, which resulted in early mornings and late nights for him. Still, Roberts was very hospitable and concerned about his delegate which made a great impression on me about the ethics of USMA cadets.
Another cadet I feel needs recognition is Doug Gain. Gain was the small group leader of F2. Not only myself but others in the group were very impressed with his knowledge, willingness to answer questions, and consideration for the well-being of the delegates with whom he was placed to lead. From the first night at West Point to the moment I left the hallowed academy, Gain went beyond the extra mile for each delegate he came in contact with and more specifically, my-self. Gain could have been complacent with his responsibilities at the conference and only done what he needed to. I spent more time with Gain than any other delegate or cadet, along with three or four others. We were a close group of guys which built a lasting friendship, had unforgettable discussions on ethics, and influenced each other to be the best we could be. Outside of the conference and “free time”, Gain did not go to his room to work on other things that were perhaps, equally or more important. Gain gave us a tour that was very extensive on more than one occasion, in which he made sure our questions were answered and he was always telling me in depth what each part of the USMA was about, describing a large variety of topics including locations of the Hudson river and the importance of them, statues, buildings, books in the library and much more. He did not stop there. Gain thoroughly trained cadets and civilians in weapons systems, gave knowledge on army history, took us to bible studies, and even physical training which allowed us to see just how to “crave torture” as we were pushed to do our best on the IOCT. I will admit my experience of the USMA was greatly marked in a positive way through the role Doug Gain played during my time there.
With only a basic knowledge of the USMA as an outsider, after attending this conference I have been overwhelmed with gratitude, the beauty of the historic academy, and the seriousness cadets take to the Duty of selfless service shown by many of those at West Point, specifically those mentioned above. So I thank-you for the opportunity, the work you have put into the event, and overall, your concern for ethics in America. I have nothing but great things to say about our United States Military Academy. My time there was valuable in many ways, educational, and a complete enjoyment.

Sincerely, Chad Bishop (East Tennessee State University)

No comments:

Post a Comment