Friday, September 9, 2016

It came back positive for melanoma

Joe (aka Bob) Faraguna of D-1, G-1, I-1 josephfaraguna@yahoo.com SENDS:
I go for dermatology checkups several times a year. After my latest exam, at the highly regarded Stony Brook Medical Center here in Long Island.
The doctor was about to leave when I asked "what about this discoloration under my left eye"?
He looked at the fine size shape. Said lets do a biopsy. It came back positive for melanoma.
The first surgery removed a quarter size cylinder of my skin. The biopsy was positive. The second surgery increased the cylinder of skin removed and the biopsy was negative. Plastic surgery grafted skin from my biceps into just under my left eye. The plastic surgeon was great and neither my eye nor nose were affected.
She, the plastic surgeon, said she uses skin moisturizer with SPF of at least 30 - and get this - she uses it 365 days a year! Even though we have four seasons in New York. The sun is year round.
If only one classmate starts to use a hat and sunblock daily - which I did not do - I will be satisfied!

Blessings,
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment