Wednesday, July 27, 2011

From Tom Rozman

From Tom Rozman


Fellow classmates, Class of 1970, the Library of Virginia recently initiated a project to develop a “Greatest Generation Archive”. A colleague, another retired LTC, forwarded the initial local announcement. My Dad, though an infantry NCO and later direct commission infantry officer during the 1941-1945 period, was a bit of an amateur photographer. After he passed away I came into a collection of perhaps 200 photos from 1939 to 1945. They included CCC activity in 1939, Connecticut National Guard activity in 1939 and 1940 (Plattsburg Barracks, NY) and infantry training at Camp Blanding, FL and Camp Shelby, MS, and material from New Zealand, New Georgia, New Guinea and some from Luzon. I’d also come into a scrap book from my Great Uncle Al Gagné, late of Richmond, VA of some 70 photos and other memorabilia of his unit the 317th Army Service Forces Band at Camp Lee, and in the ETO, most poignant being pictures of him by his brother Corporal Aime Gagné’s cross in France (23rd Infantry, 2nd Division KIA 8 June 1918 at Belleau Wood). And Al had two other brothers I’m aware of in the Army at the time and four nephews (my mother’s brothers). Three of my father’s brothers were also in the Army.

As I thought more about it I’d come into photos from some 30 aunts and uncles from that generation who had served in the armed forces (1st, 43rd, 44th, 66th, 79th , and 97th Infantry Divisions along with a good number AAF and Navy people) with many of them in Virginia at some point. I contacted the director to see if they were interested in the material. The answer was yes. I now have a POC, Trenton Hizer, PhD, a curator in charge of this effort. My sense is that this is a worthy endeavor as the archive will be made available to current and future researchers. Much of this material that might not have seen the light of day may now enrich future research of the period.

It occurred to me that our class particularly came from people who made up this generation and may want to contribute to this effort to keep the legacy available for current and future Americans. Though donation of more than photo material is welcome, the photographic items are fairly easy to provide. Without giving up originals, I have been sending the photos to the Library in various digital forms, i.e., jpg. If anyone is interested, please e-mail me at Thomas.Rozman@doli.virginia.gov and I will forward your e-mail to my POC.

No comments:

Post a Comment